EJUSA is excited to be launching a second round of trainings in Newark, NJ to increase the capacity for police and the community to build mutual understanding of the other’s trauma and respond to trauma in the wake of violence. This spring, a team of facilitators will be leading trainings on trauma-informed responses to violence with the Newark Police Department and Newark community members: “Police/Community Initiative on Trauma-Informed Responses to Violence”
The goal of this training is to understand the symptoms of community trauma and vicarious trauma as well as build necessary skills to address and problem-solve when trauma arises. These trainings will focus on community/police partnerships, and each group training will consist of the following:
- 3 weekly sessions, 4 hours each* at Liberating Word Ministries, 126 Mt Pleasant Ave, North Newark, NJ 07104.
- Participants will include 15-20 police officers and 15-20 community members.
- Learn about trauma symptoms, ACES, historical trauma, and the cycle of violence.
- Hands-on skills-building and problem solving activities that will be customized for trainees on the front lines addressing violence and trauma.
- A focus on addressing special populations, including boys/men of color, LGBT communities, girls and women, etc.
Community leaders from all sectors are invited to participate in these trainings.
If you would like to register as an INDIVIDUAL, please click here.
If you would like to register as a GROUP, please click here.
Once you register, you will be notified that you have been accepted. Seating is extremely limited and will be offered on a first come, first served basis. Newark Residents are given priority.
If you have any questions, please contact Fatimah Loren Muhammad at firstname.lastname@example.org
This training has been made possible through the generous support of the Healthcare Foundation of New Jersey and contributions from: NJ Association of Black Psychologists, Urban Renewal Corp, Newark Anti-Violence Coalition, Safer Newark Council, Violence Intervention & Prevention Specialists, and Fierro Consulting, LLC.
Group G (full, currently has a waiting list)
Tuesday, March 21, 9am-1pm
Tuesday, March 28, 9am-1pm
Tuesday, April 4, 9am-1pm
Group H (postponed until fall)
Wednesdays, March 22, 4-8pm
Wednesdays, March 29, 4-8pm
Wednesdays, April 5, 4-8pm
Monday, April 17, 4p-8pm
Monday, April 24, 4p-8pm
Monday, May 1, 4p-8pm