Issue quote: Gail Rice - Southtown Star, October 17th, 2010
From the very beginning, the death penalty makes false claims about how it "helps" victims. We are told that we need the death penalty for "closure" and "justice." But in reality, fewer than 2 percent of all cases end up with death verdicts, so it's simply wrong to act as if the healing process for families must be tied to an execution. Do we really believe there's no justice for the other 98 percent?
— Gail Rice, whose brother, a Denver policeman, was murdered in 1997