If you've lost a loved one to murder:
If you need services or counseling in the aftermath of murder:
- Order the excellent book, What to Do When the Police Leave: A Guide to the First Days of Traumatic Loss
- The National Center for Victims Assistance operates a toll free hotline.
- The National Organization for Victims Assistance has advice and information on finding local victims services.
Our work to end the death penalty has led us to hundreds of families of murder victims. We have learned from them that services for surviving families are sorely lacking. So much energy is spent chasing a few executions, while the needs of the families left behind are largely ignored.
That is why we believe repeal of the death penalty and increasing services for surviving families must go hand in hand. In many of the states where we have won repeal, we are still working to meet this second goal.
As a surviving family member, your voice is so important in the death penalty debate – no matter how you feel. If you want to get involved, or just engage in a dialog, please sign on to our victims’ families network, or read on to learn more.
What other families are saying:
Select statements by victims’ families:
- Op-ed by Jim OBrien, whose daughter Deirdre was murdered
- Testimony by Miriam Thimm Kelle, whose brother Jim was murdered
- Sign-on letter by families of homicide victims in New Mexico
Learn about the death penalty’s impact on victims’ families:
What you can do:
- Sign on to our victims’ families network and indicate what kinds of things you’d be willing to do. We’ll contact you to help you get involved and connect with your state campaign.
- Help us reach out to other victims’ families you know using our online form!
- Send a letter to the editor and share your experience as a victims’ family member.
- There are two national organizations solely dedicated to organizing murder victims’ family members in support of repeal. Find out more at Murder Victims’ Families for Reconciliation and Murder Victims’ Families for Human Rights.