(up to 40 hours/week)
Equal Justice USA (EJUSA) is a national organization that works to transform the justice system by ending the death penalty, strengthening programs that help crime survivors address trauma and rebuild their lives, and promoting trauma-informed responses to violence that can save lives and help heal communities.
The Digital Campaigner will implement and manage an online campaign to mobilize new supporters to take action against the death penalty. Supporters will come to the campaign through a website featuring a collection of short films promoting repeal of the death penalty and tools for viewers to share the films and sign up for more information.
We seek a sharp, versatile online organizer with strong social media skills and experience developing and engaging an online, issue-based constituency. The Digital Campaigner will collaborate with a small network of key stakeholders, strategists, and campaign managers to implement a digital strategy currently that includes recruitment and engagement of the new subscribers from the films’ website, social media, and offline screenings and events.
As a contract position, the candidate must have access to your own computer and workspace. EJUSA can provide occasional office space for NYC-based candidates.
- Lead the implementation and community management of a digital campaign that adheres to clearly defined strategy and recommendations.
- Regular communication between a core support team at EJUSA, an external digital strategist, and partners from the nationwide campaign.
- Write, edit, and curate compelling content for social media channels and email outreach based on recommendations and/or stakeholder sign-off.
- Direct outreach to likely supporters accompanying launch – both directly & through partners: engage with, and manage relationships with high profile influencers and traditional media who support repeal of the death penalty and wider criminal justice reform.
- Be the voice & personality of our campaign on social media platforms including (but not limited to) Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn. This includes management of negative or offensive comments, based on guidance.
- Develop online actions and regular communication to encourage continued subscription and retention of subscribers.
- Monitor traditional and social media outlets and identify campaign opportunities and strategic content.
- Amplify offline events and screenings that could drive further subscribers.
- Organize subscribers into a database based on location and initial correspondence and, working with the core support team, manage list-sharing between partners based on subscriber opt-ins and preferences.
- Produce regular reports on online performance and campaign results.
Qualifications and skills
- Experience with offline and online organizing, implementation, and management within a reactive campaign environment.
- Experience using social media and email for advocacy; including through a CRM platform.
- Knowledge of Salsa a strong plus.
- Strong skills with meme development, social media messaging, and the creation of online actions in campaigns.
- Strong copy-writing and editing skills for various platforms.
- Access to your own hardware and software to produce simple graphics-led content.
- Familiarity with web and social media analytics.
- Experience with Google Docs and Excel.
- Able to work independently, in consultation with a core team.
- Passionate about fighting for equality and justice for all.
Location: Ideal candidate would be located in New York, San Francisco or Seattle, but location is flexible.
Compensation: Weekly rate varies by experience level.
Target start date: Mid-July
Deadline: Position will remain open until filled.
To apply: Please send the following information to email@example.com:
A note explaining your interest and providing an example of your best online campaign work, including a paragraph describing the campaign and campaign products (ideally several campaign memes/posts/tweets you created).
Attach a CV/resume.
Indicate your required weekly rate, or an acceptable range.
Use the subject line: Digital Campaigner – you MUST use this subject line for your application to be received.
Application deadline July 18, 2016
EJUSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such will consider all applicants solely on the basis of their qualifications to perform the responsibilities of the position for which they are being considered, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, citizenship status, age, mental or physical disability, credit history, veteran status, uniform service member status, victims of domestic violence or stalking, political affiliation, or any other legally protected class. EJUSA does not allow, condone, or tolerate discrimination or harassment against any of the above listed classes. This policy covers all areas of employment, including recruitment, hiring, compensation, promotions, and any opportunities for career advancement.