Equal Justice USA (EJUSA) is a national organization that works to transform the justice system by ending the death penalty, strengthening programs that help crime survivors address trauma and rebuild their lives, and promoting trauma-informed responses to violence that can save lives and help heal communities.
The Development Coordinator will join our small but rapidly growing national organization based in New York City, with field staff throughout the country. (Our current staff is 16.)
We are seeking a sharp, highly organized Development Coordinator with great writing, communication, and organizational skills to support our Director of Development. This is an excellent opportunity to hone your fundraising skills as part of a dynamic, hard-working team at a leading grassroots advocacy organization. The Development Coordinator will help EJUSA grow our individual donor program as well as manage our work with foundations. As one of only two dedicated development staff for the organization, you will gain insight into every aspect of the department. The Development Coordinator will have ownership of our direct marketing, database, and Associate Board, and will play a supporting role in major gifts and grants.
EJUSA is a terrific team that loves our work and enjoys working together!
- Coordinate our direct mail and online fundraising programs, including the production process, external vendor relations, and tracking and analysis. Work with the development and communications teams to develop strategy and produce content.
- Manage and maintain the donor database, including data entry, producing queries and reports, and ensuring the integrity of EJUSA donor information.
- Track all donor and prospect interactions, requirements, and requests and identify and capture key connections and information that will assist with donor prospecting and stewardship. Respond to donor requests for information.
- Process incoming gifts and gift acknowledgements.
- Assist in developing and implementing strategies to improve the effectiveness of our database and coordinate our online and offline databases and lists.
- Maintain the development calendar and ensure deadlines are met, including grants, direct mail, online fundraising, and major giving.
- Conduct research on donors, prospects, and foundations.
- Assist with the writing, editing, and design of donor communications and materials.
- Assist with grant writing, editing, and putting together final submission packages.
- Maintain monthly sustainer program.
- Take lead in facilitating, growing, and leveraging the skills of EJUSA’s Associate Board, an energetic group of young professional volunteers.
- Provide support for donor cultivation events and activities.
- Support the general day-to-day operations of the development team including preparing materials, maintaining files, scheduling, logistical support for meetings, and tracking action items.
- Other special projects and duties as needed.
Qualifications and skills
- 2-3 years’ experience working in non-profit development.
- Meticulous attention to accuracy and detail, particularly in entry and tracking of EJUSA donor data.
- Independent and hardworking self-starter with ability to juggle and coordinate multiple projects, meet deadlines, and thrive in a small, dynamic organization with an ambitious agenda.
- Top-notch writing and communication skills, including an interest in writing to reach and inspire different types of audiences.
- Familiarity with donor databases. Knowledge of DonorPro and/or SALSA a plus.
- Technologically savvy, with strong knowledge of Microsoft Office and Excel. Comfort working in a Mac environment. Ability to learn new software quickly.
- Experience with direct mail and/or online fundraising
- Layout and graphic design skills, especially Adobe InDesign, a plus.
- Ability to protect sensitive and confidential information.
- Resourceful, creative, sense of humor, flexible.
- A positive attitude and friendly personality; ability to get along with many types of people and be a true team player.
- Personal commitment to racial justice, criminal justice reform, and the mission and values of Equal Justice USA.
Compensation: Mid $40’s to $50k, commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including medical and dental insurance, retirement plan, paid vacation/sick days/holidays/personal days, disability insurance, and professional development allowance.
Target start date: ASAP
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, and salary history to: email@example.com. Please use “Development Coordinator” as your email subject heading. No calls.
EJUSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such will consider all applicants for employment solely on the basis of their qualifications to perform the responsibilities of the position for which they are being considered, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, citizenship status, age, mental or physical disability, credit history, veteran status, uniform service member status, victims of domestic violence or stalking, political affiliation, or any other legally protected class. EJUSA does not allow, condone, or tolerate discrimination or harassment against any of the above listed classes. This policy covers all areas of employment, including recruitment, hiring, compensation, promotions, and any opportunities for career advancement.
Deadline: Friday, Aug 26, 2016. However, applications will be processed on a rolling basis.